installing rsync-3-0-5 on a Mac

Kurt kurtell at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 19:21:02 GMT 2009

Hi -

is "rsync --version" reporting the wrong version number, or am I to
stupid to properly install rsync-3-0-5 on a Mac?

Here is what I did:
download and extract rsync-3-0-5 (btw: why is there an extra patches
folder?)
in Terminal I ran: ./configure, make, sudo make install
There was no error message, and the old /usr/local/bin/rsync was
replaced.

When I now issue "rsync --version" I get:
rsync  version 2.6.9  protocol version 29
Copyright (C) 1996-2006 by Andrew Tridgell, Wayne Davison, and others.
<http://rsync.samba.org/>
Capabilities: 64-bit files, socketpairs, hard links, symlinks,
batchfiles,
               inplace, IPv6, 32-bit system inums, 64-bit internal inums

which is not what I expected.

Any suggestions what I do wrong?
Kurt