Renamed files and directories

N.J. van der Horn (Nico) nico at vanderhorn.nl
Sun Feb 22 12:25:02 GMT 2009

Thanks for your reply Wayne !
I have carried out several experiments the last couple of years
regarding this.
In former posts other members directed me to all kind of solutions.

The Inotify functionality can be used to create an agent for the source
machine.
It would send closed&modified pathnames to a queue.
This queue can be processed by uploading to the destination machine,
I prefer the backup action to be initiated from the central backup machine.
Every time a file changes, its name is send to the backup machine,
which on turn starts picking up that file using rsync.
Every 24hours a full sync is done to ensure nothing is missed.

But my biggest concern is the renamed files and directories.
Right now a renamed directory appears to rsync as being removed.
Then the new name is recognised as new and a full sync is carried out.
I am using the backup-dir option to create daily increments.
So the files are not really lost, but unknow to rsync.
I agree that the only solution is to keep a database.
Maybe the solution can make use of the increment directory,
to link these files hard in the current directory.

You probably noticed Henri's reply, he pointed to link-backup:

    This URL has a links to Link-Backup and LSync :
    http://connect.homeunix.com/lbackup/about#alternatives_to_lbackup

    The LSync project has integrated with Link-Backup if you are
    interested.
    otherwise just jump directly to the Link-Backup project.

It is a big python script, but not easy to integrate in my current setup.

At the moment i make backups of 18 hosts for a total of about 2 Terabyte.
These hosts are spread around Europe and most have just ADSL...
Normally the comple process takes about 2 to 3 hours,
including extra mirror to a second backup machine on colo.

But if the renamed directory disaster takes place, I have to manually
sort it out,
then try to reconstruct the directory on the "current" tree....
When I am busy, sometimes I miss this, like i told before, it took weeks
to get 40GB....

I use rsync now for several years and know it is a good tool, thanks for
all efforts !

Regards, Nico