uid/gid settings in rsyncd.conf not respected?

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Wed Feb 18 06:50:10 GMT 2009

Harry, please CC rsync at lists.samba.org in your replies so that others
can help and your messages are archived for others' future benefit.

On Tue, 2009-02-17 at 15:59 -0800, Harry Mangalam wrote:
> Your patch is failing on the released 3.0.5 source, so I assume 3.0.5
> is not the target.  What is?  Or failing that, what is 'your'
> repository?

The original patch was against the latest development rsync (see "Source
repository" on http://rsync.samba.org/download.html ).  The attached one
will work on rsync 3.0.5.  There was a minor conflict with improvements
made to the daemon configuration code since 3.0.5.

> Also, are you saying that it's rsync itself rather than the underlying
> permission system that allows it take on the supplementary group
> permissions?  I thought that it was the *ix file / group system that
> did this.

The permission system just associates a list of supplementary groups
with each process.  Each program that changes its uid (the most common
examples being login(1) and su(1)) is responsible for calling
initgroups(3) to parse /etc/group and take on the corresponding
supplementary groups.

--
Matt