--password-file

lewis butler lbutler+rsync at covisp.net
Mon Feb 16 15:54:31 GMT 2009

On 16-Feb-2009, at 01:18, Wayne Davison wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 05:08:36AM -0700, lewis butler wrote:
>> This tells everyone the exact length of each password
>
> The docs should actually say that everything after the first line of
> the file is ignored.  So, feel free to add any text you like after
> that.  I'll improve the man page to get this right.

Good to know.

>> First off, it would let you have multiple passwords in a single file
>
> That would make some things easier, but I'd want any such change to be
> backward compatible with current files.  One possibility it to leave
> the command-line option alone and adding support for a new environment
> variable, such as RSYNC_PASSWORDS_FROM.  That would let the new-style
> file be specified in a shell rc file and used to configure multiple
> servers/modules, as desired.

That does sound like a better way to go. the other possibility might
be to have a marked on the first line of the file.  If it's there,
it's a new format file.  Something like "##rsync" as the first line
and the file is parsed, anything else and the first line is treated as
a password and everything else is ignored.

> I'd at the very least include such a change in the patches directory
> if someone wanted to code something like that.

Ah, if only I could code worth a damn...

--
What the hell's goin' on in the engine room? Were there
	monkeys? Some terrifying space monkeys maybe got loose?