--link-dest=server::location/folder

lewis butler lbutler+rsync at covisp.net
Wed Feb 11 21:12:45 GMT 2009

I'm wondering if I can use link-dest to compare rsync to a remote
directory.

rsync -aCHh --stats  --link-dest=akane::backup/ranma.daily.1 /
myserver::akane/ranma.daily.0

Something like that?  Is it going to work like it does when doing a
local rsync with a local link-dest directory?  Is it going to chew
massive amounts of bandwidth?  Is there something else I should be
doing instead?

I have actually tried this command, but it's been building a file list
for a very long time now. The data is only (only!!) about 12GB.

(What I want is to have several 'versions' of the current machine
backed-up to a second machine)

--
A ship should not ride on a single anchor,
nor life on a single hope