Local transform on files before sending?

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Mon Feb 9 02:38:50 GMT 2009

On Sun, 2009-02-08 at 20:28 -0600, Michael Gardner wrote:
> Is it possible to have rsync do a transform on each file before sending
> it? This would be useful for things like individually compressed or
> encrypted backups, or in my case, syncing lossy copies of my FLAC music
> to an mp3 player or laptop.

This feature is provided by a maintained patch, which is not very
mature:

http://rsync.samba.org/ftp/rsync/patches/source-filter_dest-filter.diff

Like many others, this patch is perhaps worthy but no one has shown an
interest in working on it recently.  If you are willing to improve the
patch to the point that it meets your needs, that would be great.

--
Matt