Extended attributes fail mactomac

Bas Kamer bas at bushbaby.nl
Thu Feb 5 10:53:50 GMT 2009

Hi All,

I have a problem transferring extended attributes from a mac to a mac.
A local copy does work. Is this a known issue or am I making a mistake.

the command I am running:
rsync -aXv --rsync-path=/opt/local/bin/rsync /Users/bas/Library/Fonts bas at play.bushbaby.nl
:/Users/bas/Desktop/
several copied Fonts are zero Kb, while when I do it local to local
they are their correct size and work perfectly?

please note:
- both ends are 10.5.6 and recent installations
- on both ends rsync is installed with macport and are uptodate
- rsync path is the remote macport version of rsync (otherwise the -X
option will fail the complete transfer with "unkown option" error. The
apple supplied rsync version is used in that case)
- note the xattrs compatibility on both ends while getting version info

LOCAL
LopTap:~ bas$ /opt/local/bin/rsync --version
rsync  version 3.0.5  protocol version 30
Copyright (C) 1996-2008 by Andrew Tridgell, Wayne Davison, and others.
Web site: http://rsync.samba.org/
Capabilities:
     64-bit files, 32-bit inums, 32-bit timestamps, 64-bit long ints,
     socketpairs, hardlinks, symlinks, IPv6, batchfiles, inplace,
     append, ACLs, xattrs, iconv, symtimes, file-flags

REMOTE
play:~ bas$ /opt/local/bin/rsync --version
rsync  version 3.0.5  protocol version 30
Copyright (C) 1996-2008 by Andrew Tridgell, Wayne Davison, and others.
Web site: http://rsync.samba.org/
Capabilities:
     64-bit files, 32-bit inums, 32-bit timestamps, 64-bit long ints,
     socketpairs, hardlinks, symlinks, IPv6, batchfiles, inplace,
     append, ACLs, xattrs, iconv, symtimes, file-flags

thanks so much

Bas

bushbaby multimedia ontwerp & uitvoering
bas at bushbaby.nl | +31(0)6 2897 7426