How do I make rsync ignore unreadable files (damaged sectors)?

Matthias Schniedermeyer ms at citd.de
Tue Dec 22 17:11:04 MST 2009

On 22.12.2009 19:24, Stefan Nowak wrote:
>>> On 22.12.2009 16:39, Stefan Nowak wrote:
>>>
>>> The only low-budget test ideas I have:
>>>
>>> The CD scratching a la Tomas Gustavsson seems the only easily
>>> achievable
>>> solution. But then it is not sure whether the OS does the reading
>>> retries
>>> or whether the optical disk drive itself retries reading.
>>
>> On 22.12.2009 at 19:10 Matthias Schniedermeyer wrote:
>>
>> Get some Old, cheap and as small as possible USB-Sticks.
>>
>> Especially when they are small you should be able to reach the
>> overwrite-limits relativly fast (Which may still be counted in days)
>>
>> Depending in model you should be able to get some interesting errors,
>> maybe even total breakdowns.
>> ;-)
>
> Your suggestion, to make the destination volume (USB stick) full, will
> result in write errors! If you mean "size-limit" by "overwrite-limit"
> What we wanted was, how to provoke read errors, and Paul Slootman
> already offered a solution for that: hdparm --make-bad-sector.
> Or did you mean to write a small testfile on a flash drive, then

> overwrite it multiple times (more often than the specified "overwrite
> limit") by an automated loop, as long until you get the first write
> error, and hence you can expect a bad sector at this file, and then use
> it as a broken test source?

That's the spirit. Altough flash-media, due to it's inner workings,
doesn't guarantee that an error stays confined to the file(s) you are
pounding on. An error, while overwriting something, CAN destroy pretty
much anything, altough "only" up to the erase-block-size.

Bis denn