How do I make rsync ignore unreadable files (damaged sectors)?

Stefan Nowak p.org at gmx.at
Tue Dec 22 04:50:20 MST 2009

Did I understand this correctly?
rsync skips a file as soon as it receives an I/O error from the OS?

Then the solution would be to write a script in such a manner:
1) Set OS I/O timeout/attempts to your maximum tolerance.
2) rsync --your --options
3) Set OS I/O timeout/attempts back to the default OS values.

On which OS can you modify the maximum timeout/attempts for I/O errors?
And how? And for what kind of devices?
Curious for: Mac OS X, Windows, Linux.