rsync hangs during transfer

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Mon Dec 21 11:00:44 MST 2009

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 11:58 PM, Dimitar Dimitrov
<dimitar.dimitrov at markit.com> wrote:
> script as described in the troubleshooting procedures). The strace output is here

What this reveals is that the receiver is getting an inflate error,
sending the message to the generator, exiting, and then the generator
hangs reading the message pipe.  Why it does not get a EOF as it
should, I have no idea, but that seems like an OS issue.

Since the reason for things falling apart is that there was an error
in the compress code, you should be able to avoid the hang (for now)
by avoiding the -z option.

If you discover anything about why that pipe read doesn't return an
EOF, let me know.  (You may want to ask some debian folks about that.)