Rsync shortcutting output?

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Mon Dec 21 10:47:15 MST 2009

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 6:49 AM, Joel Peabody <jpeabody at bnserve.com> wrote:
> However, in looking at the output of one particular job it looks
> like it’s just putting out directories when it gets to a new one, and not
> the filename of everything it’s transferring.

No, that's pretty impossible.  If you're losing output, it's more
likely to be something like an fd somehow getting set to non-blocking
I/O, which can cause some flushed data to be lost (since stdio
libraries expect their file handles to be blocking).  There was a bug
a while back where ssh would cause such a problem when stdout and
stderr were joined together, but I haven't seen this before for just a
redirected stdout.  The "fix" was a kluge where rsync sets the output
back to blocking after it (hopefully) waited long enough for ssh to
have finished its fiddling.  You might try adding a
set_blocking(STDOUT_FILENO) right after the
set_blocking(STDERR_FILENO) line in main.c just to see if that helps
anything.

Also, if all you want is the per-file output, using -i its own (or
--log-format on its own) without --progress will give you that, which
will help cut down on all the other per-file output that --progress
generates.