about --link-dest

Noel David Torres Taño envite at rolamasao.org
Fri Dec 11 12:08:20 MST 2009

On Friday 11 December 2009 18:49:54 you wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-12-11 at 11:04 +0100, Noel David Torres Taño wrote:
> > [...]
> > >
> > > Pass -i to find out why rsync didn't use the file from copy1.  There
> > > might be a difference in the seconds part of the mtime, which would not
> > > show up in the "ls" output.
> > >

> > $ rsync -avi --link-dest=$PWD/copy1 origin/ copy2
> > sending incremental file list
> > .d..t...... ./
> > >f..t...... kk
> >
> > sent 104 bytes  received 35 bytes  278.00 bytes/sec
> > total size is 3  speedup is 0.02
> >
> > I do not understand that output
>
> The output format of -i is described in the man page.  The "t" indicates

Found it, but didn't understood well.

> that copy1/kk differs from origin/kk in modification time, which
> disqualifies it from being linked since you asked rsync to preserve
> modification time as part of -a.

Ok, now I understand. Let's go to the explaining: I'm trying to use --link-dest on NTFS, particularly on ntfs-3g on Linux. It does not work and now I know why: files differ on permissions since ntfs-3g does not handle them.

Many thanks to all and particularly to Matt

Noel
er Envite