multiuser rsync environment

Matthias Schniedermeyer ms at citd.de
Thu Dec 10 04:33:21 MST 2009

On 10.12.2009 11:54, Angel Spassov wrote:

> Dear List,
>
> I am looking for a solution of the following issue.
>
> We are two users managing our homepage through subversion
> in order to synchronize each others work.
> We upload everything to the server via the following command in rsync:
>

> rsync -avzt --exclude ".svn" --exclude "*~" -e ssh .  webserver at webserver.org:/path/to/the/webpage
>

> Everything works just fine except of one annoying issue.
> rsync synchronizes everything when the person between two uploads change.
>
> So if my colleague made the last change to the server,
> the next time I am rsync-ing everything needs to be synchronized again
> (which is of course expected, but still annoying).
>
> Is there some elegant option to combine subversion + rsync in a wiser way
> in order to upload only the changes with altering users?

This is an issue with most SCM-Systems,

The mtime of the files are NOT kept in sync by subversion and differ
between the 2 different working copies you use.

What you can do is periodically rsync back the files from the webserver
and/or directly between the different working copies, so that the mtimes
are synchronized. Then only the mtimes of the files updated via
subversion after the last sync are off.
Cautin: Only do that when working has no pending changes and be extra
careful not to overwrite/kill the .svn-directories!

Or, when the the amount of data is relativly small just use "-c".
Depending on amount of data that takes some extra time when the
buffer-cache on either side is cold.

Or, (most "risky") just ignore mtimes '--ignore-times'.

Bis denn