unpack_smb_acl unknown error

Mike Bombich mike at bombich.com
Mon Aug 31 15:59:34 MDT 2009

That error occurs when rsync tries to set an ACE specifying a user
that does not exist.  Here's what happens:

1) Read ACE on source file --> on Mac OS X, the user or group of the
ACE is stored using the user or group's UUID
2) Convert UUID to uid/gid using mbr_uuid_to_id, also store which type
it is (e.g. user or group)
3) [transfer file]
4) Convert uid/gid to UUID using mbr_uid_to_uuid or mbr_gid_to_uuid
5) Set ACE on destination file

On Leopard, step 2 could succeed despite the lookup failing (the
mbr_uuid_to_id indicates that you need to use getpwuid(3) or
getgrgid(3) to determine if the id returned actually maps to a user).
On Snow Leopard, mbr_uuid_to_id now properly returns ENOENT.

Regardless, rsync shouldn't be converting uuid to uid/gid for Mac OS
X, it's unnecessary.  It looks like this was done to maintain
consistency with the rest of the ACL functions, and also to maintain
compatibility when transferring files to another platform.

I looked into fixing this a few days ago.  Unfortunately, it won't be
trivial, uuid is 16 bytes vs 4 bytes for uid/gid.  I didn't have time
to file a bug report yet either :-)

Mike