snapshot support in rsync

Andrew Gideon c182driver1 at gideon.org
Sun Aug 30 18:16:56 MDT 2009

On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 10:51:31 +0530, Jignesh Shah wrote:

> Could you please
> let me know if there is any way to get rid of this error message in
> rsync-3.0.6?

Rsync cannot do this [as far as I know], but there are other tools.  For
example, if you use LVM for managing your volumes (and you should if
you've no other volume management in use), then you can use lvcreate -s
to create a snapshot of the volume.  This does as you desire: it provides
an instantaneous frozen copy of the volume's content.

Be sure to remove the snapshot when it is no longer needed.  They do
consume increasing space in the underlying storage over time.

If you use something other than LVM, then there is likely an equivalent
to lvcreate -s.

	- Andrew