How to make big MySQL database more diffable/rsyncable? (aka rsyncing big files)

Ryan Malayter malayter at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 14:54:29 MDT 2009

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 12:55 PM, Jamie Lokier<jamie at shareable.org> wrote:
> Why don't they just use Unison?

Because it doesn't work well. It is seriously unreliable with large
files, on Linux or Windows. It also has a horrifying tendency to
corrupt its own state databases, lock up, or exit unexpectedly. It
also doesn't support --fuzzy, which is critical for getting delta
transfers of large backup files that have "date-stamped" names.

Finally, it's written in OCaml, so only two CS grad students in the
whole world have any idea how to fix it.

Realistically, rsync is the only free delta-transfer tool worth a damn
(I've tried them all I think). So people are going to try to use it
for just about everything, including things for which it just wasn't
designed. And those same people will keep requesting features... the
ungrateful bastards!

Windows RDC is "free" if you have two Windows Server 2003 R2 licenses,
I suppose... but I still use rsync for most things even on Windows
Servers, since it has so many options.
--
RPM