Include a directory inside an excluded one?

Nicolas KOWALSKI niko at petole.demisel.net
Thu Aug 20 12:41:40 MDT 2009

Hello,

On my windows xp machine, with cygwin, I run rsync to backup important
files on another drive (samba share, mapped on h:). It works fine. I
currently use the following command line:

rsync -rtv --del --delete-excluded --progress --iconv=ISO-8859-1,UTF-8 --partial \
        --exclude "/Videos/" \
        --exclude "/Ma musique/" \
        /cygdrive/d/Documents/ \
        /cygdrive/h/Documents/

My problem is that I would like to synchronize a directory located
inside "/Ma musique/", the one named "/Ma musique/iTunes/". I tried to
use the following command, without success:

rsync -rtv --del --delete-excluded --progress --iconv=ISO-8859-1,UTF-8 --partial \
        --include "/Ma musique/iTunes/" \
        --exclude "/Videos/" \
        --exclude "/Ma musique/" \
        /cygdrive/d/Documents/ \