Handling spaces in filenames

Tony Abernethy tony at servacorp.com
Tue Aug 11 23:01:28 MDT 2009

FILE NAME WITH SPACES -- this is 4 different space-separated parameters fed
from the shell to the program
"FILE NAME WITH SPACES" -- this is one parameter fed from the shell to the
program
FOLDER-NAME/ -- this is one parameter and means all the files in the
directory FOLDER-NAME/
FOLDER-NAME  -- this is one parameter and means the directory FOLDER-NAME/
(and presumably taking all the contents with the directory)

Unless the program does something special to parse out the spaces in the
parameters, what you are seeing is normal behavior.
I assume that the directory names with spaces are actually subdirectories of
whatever you are backing up, ie those name you specify on the command line.
You can also use wild-cards in addition to the names with spaces to give the
illusion that it understands.