how to migrate 40T data and 180M files

Jan-Benedict Glaw jbglaw at lug-owl.de
Tue Aug 11 03:31:02 MDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-08-11 10:58:15 +0200, Michal Suchanek <hramrach at centrum.cz> wrote:
> 2009/8/11 Jan-Benedict Glaw <jbglaw at lug-owl.de>:
> > On Tue, 2009-08-11 16:14:33 +0800, Ming Gao <gaomingcn at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I need to migrate 40T data and 180M files from one storage device to another
> > > one, both source and destination will be NFS and mounted to a local suse
> > > linux box.
> >
> > There are no specific risks these days I think, but it sounds like
> > this is a task like "copy over anything", so it's merely mount both
> > filesystems and use two `tar' instances with a pipe in between...
> >

> .. except it will take forever and is not restartable.

In a copy-once scenario, you can only saturate your bandwidth once.
Rsync cannot really make it faster.

> I'm not sure that the possibility to restart the rsync run after, say,
> a network outage is really an advantage, though. Finding out what's
> already transferred and transferring the rest takes about the same
> time as doing a full transfer.

That's indeed the question.  Rsync is a really good program to
synchronize files, but it's not a /better/ backup program. (Though it
is as good as others.)

MfG, JBG

--
      Jan-Benedict Glaw      jbglaw at lug-owl.de              +49-172-7608481