[Code study]append_mode definitions

Daniel.Li daniel_li at usish.com
Mon Apr 27 14:22:47 GMT 2009

On Mon, 2009-04-27 at 06:44 -0700, Wayne Davison wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 10:33:02AM +0800, Daniel.Li wrote:
> > Can anyone help to explain definitions of variable "append_mode"?
>
> There are two different type of appending (see the man page) depending
> on how new rsync is and how much of the file should be checksummed.

We are studying ver 3.0.5.

So there are three states:

1) append_mode = 0, NONE append mode.

2) append_mode = 1, "--append"
If file size on the receiver is the same or longer than the size on the
sender, the file is skipped

3) append_mode = 2, "--append-verify"
This works just like the --append option, but the existing data on the
receiving side is included in the full-file checksum verification step

>  The
> option is also disabled if a file is being fixed during a redo event.

I didn't get it. Can u help to explain a little bit more? Thanks.

But I still doesn't know why "append_mode = -append_mode" in those
files?

generate.c #line2102,2127

> append_mode = -append_mode;

receive.c #line503,513