Any program flow or software spec for Rsync

Daniel.Li daniel_li at usish.com
Fri Apr 24 15:17:20 GMT 2009

On Fri, 2009-04-24 at 07:36 -0700, Wayne Davison wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 02:47:41PM +0800, Daniel.Li wrote:
> > I'm trying to take a look at rsync from code-level.
> > Is there any software spec or program flow that I can get, which might
> > give me a basic understanding about the code?
>
> The only thing I can think of is an old how-rsync-works page:
>
>     http://rsync.samba.org/how-rsync-works.html
>
> Beyond that, rsync's protocol and/or program flow is not documented
> anywhere.

I have been looking at the code for almost about 3 days. :(
It seems NOT that easy to understand, especially protocol 30, well
something binary, global variable,...bla...bla....

But I'm still wanna take a closer look at the code. So what I'm planning
is to just document what I have seen and think. I'll prepare a wiki page
and update when I have a further understanding of the code.

It's almost 23:30 :), I'll create the page and provide the link
tomorrow.

I hope that I can get more help on this.

Any advice/suggestion/help is mostly appreciated. Thanks.

--
Daniel