purge-empty-dirs and max-file-size confusion

Ian! D. Allen idallen at idallen.ca
Wed Apr 22 06:20:37 GMT 2009

I want to use --min-size to copy just large files (and their necessary
parent directories), but everything I've tried copies *all* the source
directories, and creates them empty on the destination even if they
don't have any big files in them.  I only want the minimal directory
hierarchies that contain the big files.  This doesn't work:

    $ rm -rf /tmp/foo
    $ rsync -ai --min-size 10M --prune-empty-dirs /home/idallen/test /tmp/foo
    cd+++++++++ test/
    cd+++++++++ test/dir1/
    cd+++++++++ test/dir2/
    cd+++++++++ test/dir3/
    cd+++++++++ test/dir4/
    >f+++++++++ test/dir4/BIGFILE
    cd+++++++++ test/dir5/
    >f+++++++++ test/dir5/BIGFILE
    cd+++++++++ test/dir6/
    >f+++++++++ test/dir6/BIGFILE

Wrong.  I don't want all those dir1, dir2, dir3 empty directories.
I don't want *any* empty directories, at any level.
What am I missing?