Disaster recovery option for file server

Steve Radich stever at bitshop.com
Fri Apr 17 23:07:57 GMT 2009

Rsync will go cross platform fine, the main concern will be NTFS permissions (if you have complex permissions). If your permissions are just at the share level you should have a very easy copy / set up shares.

As to running: I'd run MUCH more than daily, i.e. maybe hourly - rsync tends to optimize it's transfers quite well.

I'd set up your shares AHEAD of time with permissions on the vista box set to nobody having permission to the share - Then if the box goes down you can simply turn on the permissions - that way if you are out of the office when it happens changing share permissions is a pretty trivial task.

Steve Radich - Founder and Principal of Business Information Technology Shop - www.bitshop.com
Developer Resources Site: www.ASPDeveloper.Net  - www.VirtualServerFAQ.com
  LinkedIn Public Profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/steveradich