--remove-source-file problem

Johnson, Scott scott.johnson at neustar.biz
Thu Apr 16 20:40:51 GMT 2009

All,

I'm having a problem with the rsync parameters -remove-source-files.
I'm attempting to rsync files from a remote server (source).   My target
machine is Linux 2.6.9-67.ELsmp and my source machine is AIX 3.

Rsync is version rsync  version 2.6.9  protocol version 29 on the target
machine and rsync  version 2.6.2  protocol version 28 on the AIX server.

My rsync command is:

rsync -e ssh -avz --remove-source-files userid at aix_server:/tmp/test.txt
.

I'm running this command on the target server (Linux).

The message I get is:

userid at linuxserver:/tmp> rsync -e ssh -avz --remove-source-files
userid at aix_server:/tmp/test.txt  .

 rsync: on remote machine: --remove-source-files: unknown option

rsync error: syntax or usage error (code 1) at main.c(1002)

rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far)
[receiver]

rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(453)
[receiver=2.6.9]

This works fine when I'm on the same server, ie.move file on same
server, to different directory

So questions:

Does -remove-source-files work across remote connections?

Does it work across different OS?

Do I need to have my systems guys upgrade the rsync version on the AIX
server to match that on my Linux box?

Thanks,

Scott