Help creating incremental backups using --backup-dir.

henri henri at stmargarets.school.nz
Wed Apr 15 03:13:48 GMT 2009

Have you considered pulling the backup via SSH rather than pushing it
to the server over SMB? If pulling the backup is a possibility, I
would recommend this configuration.

As an example if you run LBackup (rsync backend) on the server and
pull the backup then hard-links will work great. The following link
contains documentation regarding pulling and pushing backups with
LBackup : http://connect.homeunix.com/lbackup/network_backup

The way LBackup handles push backups is via disk images (virtual file
systems). This means that before the backup starts the virtual
filesystem must be mounted and then when the backup has completed you
may want to unmount the virtual file system. LBackup includes example
pre and post scripts to do deal with the image mounting and un-
mounting on Mac OS X by calling hdiutil. I have a similar setup in use
at the moment which uses SSH Fuse to host the disk image file.
However, this particular backup is started manually and is closely
monitored.

Keep in mind that LBackup is designed to pull the backup to the backup
server.

If you have to push the backups and you are looking for reliability,
then LSync could be another option. Designed to work with pull or push
backups and provide fail over support for servers, LSync may be a
better fit if you must perform a push backup. Incremental support with
LSync is provided via Link-Backup. Lsync details are available from
the following URL : http://www.lucidsystems.org/tools/lsync

When using rsync to perform incremental backups with with hard links
enabled, I have found that pulling backups is very robust. In
addition, LBackup and LSync (expert system under construction) will
also provide you with various options with regards backup reports.

Hopefully this information is helpful.