Local disk rsync

listserv.traffic at sloop.net listserv.traffic at sloop.net
Tue Apr 14 17:33:58 GMT 2009

> Only copying changed files is *exactly* what ROBOCOPY is designed for.
> This is even the default behavior. It uses
> filename+size+modification_time to determine if two files are the
> same. ROBOCOPY also has an enromous number of logging options.

This discussion is diverged widely, but I felt it important to
complete this thought...

---
Can you point me to where this is stated in the docs? (In my reading
of the docs and related items, robocopy was to be a "better" xcopy.
And xcopy never was a sync tool. It was a mass-directory/file
copier.)

I simply can't find it documented ANYWHERE, even in MS's own
documents, wikipedia or anywhere else - that ROBOCOPY will only copy
newer files.

It will delete orphans on the destination side [with /MIR] which will
help keep things in sync, but this isn't the "only copy changed files"
I need.

Many of the other options don't seem to make much sense [/XO, /XN
etc.] from a tool which is intended as a one way sync tool.

So, perhaps I've not read the documentation clearly [and I thought
man pages often sucked, but MS's tech-net docs are abysmal on
Robocopy] but if so, please indicate where this is documented so I
can stand corrected and others on this list can at least know it's an
option.

TIA
-Greg