Rsync Runs Out of Space Because of Temp File

philvh hovh03 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 8 16:14:42 GMT 2009

rsync failed because of a disk space problem.  However, I think it should not
have this problem.

I have 2 mounted drive.  Each have 60 GB.  On each drive, there is a 50 GB
file (it's a virtual machine) and nothing else.

When I sync one with another, there should not be a problem, because there
are 10 GB left, and also, shouldn't it re-use the space of the destination
file?

I found that it creates a 10 GB temporary file on the destination folder.
It looks like it doesn't write to the destination file, but rather creating
a temporary file first (like a diff or something).  I really don't know the
inner working of it.  However, I would assume it just updating the
destination, and there should be plenty of space for that.

So, could someone please help me set an option or something to say sync
direction on the destination, or a patch to rsync?