Transfer between windows and linux going wrong

Paul Slootman paul+rsync at wurtel.net
Tue Sep 30 15:52:19 GMT 2008

On Tue 30 Sep 2008, Bruno Guimarães Sousa wrote:

> I am running rsync 2.6.9-2etch2 protocol version 29 in a Debian machine.
> There is a Windows machine that I want to get the files from debian. For
> that I'm using rsync for windows version 3.0.4 protocol version 30
>
> "C:\Program Files\cwRsync\bin\rsync.exe" -Cavz root at 10.1.100.45:/root/
> rsync: Failed to exec ssh: No such file or directory (2)
> rsync error: error in IPC code (code 14) at pipe.c(84) [receiver=3.0.4]
> rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [receiver]
> rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(632)
> [receiver=3.0.4]
>
> The problem is the protocol version difference right? If it is, how can i

No, the problem is that you don't have any "ssh" program on your windows
system, and you've instructed rsync to do the transfer over ssh (no -e
option thus default ssh, and a single colon thus not a connection to an
rsync daemon).

If you configure the Debian system to run rsync as a daemon (create an
appropriate /etc/rsyncd.conf file, see /usr/share/doc/rsync/* and edit
/etc/default/rsync and do /etc/init.d/rsync start), then you should be
able to transfer thusly:

"C:\Program Files\cwRsync\bin\rsync.exe" -Cavz 10.1.100.45::your_module_name_here/

Paul Slootman