Does "--link-dest" option supports link to remote backup server?

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Mon Sep 29 00:05:25 GMT 2008

On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 03:39:06PM +0800, Zhiming Zhou wrote:
> rsync -a --link-dest=/remote/old /tmp/myfile user at 192.168.0.10::backup/remote/new

As long as remote/old is a path inside the backup module, and is on the
same filesystem as the remote/new path inside the backup module, it
should work fine.  If you're using at least 3.0.0, it will alert you if
you have specified a directory that does not exist.  If it's not
working, check the version of the destination rsync so we can see if
it is old enough to have a bug that might affect the linking.