INCLUDE/EXCLUDE PATTERN RULES problem on MAC OS

Shachar Shemesh shachar at shemesh.biz
Sat Sep 27 18:34:45 GMT 2008

Matt McCutchen wrote:

> (since rsync does a binary comparison).
rsync as well as the Unix kernel, typically.

I have implemented i18n support in several programs before, I am working
on a draft for BiDi text editing, and I had to look up what
decomposition means. If that's the case, I doubt we can trust a sane
(vs., e.g., myself) user to get it right.

I think the right thing is for rsync to have, #ifdefed on a Mac build, a
decomposition algorithm for the exclude/include files. Please note that
while HFS insists on decomposed characters, there is no such requirement
from plain text files. For all we know, a file typed on Mac may still
fail to match the file names.

Shachar