backup file to win98 system

Fabian Cenedese Cenedese at indel.ch
Thu Sep 18 12:16:49 GMT 2008

Hi

Please stay on the list as there are more knowledgeable persons than me.

>>>Hi...rsync working fine for my fedora 5 box to fedora 9 box.  Now i want to take back of my folder /home/rajiv to a windows 98 box...Shared a folder in win98 system for full access but do not know how to take backup...tried with the following but got error message
>>>[root at myserver ~]# rsync -aPrv /data/stock/ //<<http://192.168.1.75/dir>http://192.168.1.75/dir><http://192.168.1.75/dir>192.168.1.75/dir
>>>sending incremental file list
>>>rsync: mkdir "//<<http://192.168.1.75/dir>http://192.168.1.75/dir><http://192.168.1.75/dir>192.168.1.75/dir" failed: No such file or directory (2)
>>>rsync error: error in file IO (code 11) at main.c(567) [receiver=3.0.2]
>>>rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (9 bytes received so far) [sender]
>>>rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(635) [sender=3.0.2]
>>>
>>>rsync -aPrv /home/rajiv/ //<<http://192.168.1.75/dir/>http://192.168.1.75/dir/><http://192.168.1.75/dir/>192.168.1.75/dir/
>>>
>>>ip 75 is my win98 system....is it possible to do this?
>>
>>You need to mount your Win98 partition, then you can access it like:
>>
>>rsync /source /mnt/Win98partition
>>
>>If you don't want that you need to run rsync on Win98 as server.
>>Look out for cwrsync (rsync with cygwin). But I don't know if
>>or how good that works on Win98.
>
>thanks for the quick reply.  However can you tell me how to open password protected user and password based folder (from a NAS)
>
>SET USER='me'
>SET RSYNC_PASSWORD='me1234'
>rsync -aPrv /cygdrive/c/para1  /cygdrive/y/test
>
>tried with the above and found not working..

Now you're talking about windows. I don't know how to authenticate
programmatically. I'd access the shared drive manually in explorer
so Windows will ask me for the password. Once access is granted
rsync shouldn't have any problems either.

What NAS are you using? Doesn't it have a builtin rsync daemon
running? Or maybe you could add one?

bye  Fabi