simple incremental backup woes. solutions?

The Peach smartart at tiscali.it
Fri Sep 5 11:15:46 GMT 2008

On Thu, 04 Sep 2008 22:48:28 +0000
Matt wrote:

> It's not clear to me what the problem is, since the "cannot delete a
> non-empty dir" message is pretty harmless.  Do you want the directories
> to be renamed?  If so, should the individual files inside be renamed
> too?

The situation with my rsync config, as stated in my first post, is this:
1) In the source I've got a directory with several files inside it.
2) When first executed, rsync copies everything correctly.
3) On the source, I delete the directory.
4) On next execution, rsync renames all the files inside the directory
as I told it to do so. But the directory will not be renamed like it
did with the files. Instead rsync tries to delete the directory
finishing with an obvious warning of "cannot delete non-empty
directory".

is it clear? As long as I've searched, this seems the normal behaviour
of rsync, and I have nothing against it. I'm just trying to achieve my
personal results either with a combination of options or in some other
way (i.e. looking at rsync output with a bash script or whatever), or
even asking here if this can be implemented.

First question: if a --suffix-dir option can be implemented, the
suffixed dirs will be exluded by --filter option? It should, as long as
the directory is a file itself on unix systems, but I didn't tried it
already.

Thanks for your replies.
regards,

--