rsync with --backup

Paul -Spawn- Rysevets P.Rysevets at sam-solutions.net
Thu Sep 4 10:46:28 GMT 2008

Hello Guys,

   i'm new to rsync.. and i have a request to fix some things(not
related to rsync)... and i could not find and good-for-me examples on
the net..
   here is the deal: we have an ant-script.. that uses rsync to
update our server's files.. i.e. patch-script
   and request is.. to save files, that are updated...
   and when the patch-script is run again (like, the same one)
back-ups must not be overwritten.

   in rsync i've found --backup and --backup-dir...
   but the thing is.. that i need to store backups on local station
(it is simplier to me),
not on the receiving side... (as backup-dir option tries to do)

   giving --filter='Pp *~' after --backup-dir gives me
   --filter=Pp *~: unknown option

   and
   --backup-dir='user at host1:/path/to/backupdir/' /local/path/ user at host2:/remote/path/
   gives no results.. files are updated, but no backups .. ("user"
are the same on both servers)

i could try to store back ups on host2, then tar them and the copy
them back to host1...

or at first rsync modified file between two hosts to host1 (i.e. make
backup manually)
and then rsync to host2

any ideas?

   version of rsync is 2.6.3 v 28 (and i can not change it.)

--
Best regards,
 Paul 'Spawn' Rysevets          P.Rysevets at sam-solutions.net
 SpAwN_gUy.aka.WAREZMasta       WAREZMasta at gmail.com
 ICQ:968978                     SKYPE-ID: spawn_guy