Is rsync copying over the entire file? Sent bytes matches actual file size.

Administrator Administrator at letterpart.com
Wed Oct 29 15:28:20 GMT 2008

From: Michal Soltys

>> Locally used rsync will default to -W which causes whole files to be
transferred (if they differ - also check -c option if mtime and size are
not
>> reliable in your case). But it still distinguishes between client and
server - the stats are for the client - which "sent" 584814160 bytes in
one
>> direction, but "received" only 48 from the server.

Thank you for that. I added the --no-whole-file switch and that has
sorted it.

Now I have another couple of questions.

Question 1:

I am using version 2.6.6 which shows this no whole file option in the
man page:

-W, --whole-file            copy files whole (without rsync algorithm)
    --no-whole-file         always use incremental rsync algorithm

But someone else has a newer version (3.0.4) and the man page doesn't
show this option, only the -W switch:

 -W, --whole-file            copy files whole (without delta-xfer
algorithm)

But the --no-whole-file switch does work. So it is an option but not
documented in the man page.

Question 2:

The time taken to run the command is the same with or without the
switch. Why is this? I would expect the command with the no whole file
switch to run faster as it only has to transfer a portion of the entire
file.

Thanks,

Hedley

---------------- Letterpart Ltd Email Notice -------------------
may also be privileged. They are intended solely for the use of the
individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the
intended recipient please notify Letterpart Ltd immediately by
return email or by calling 01737 223329. You should not copy this
email or use it for any purpose nor disclose its contents to any
other person.

Although this email and any attachments are believed to be free of
any virus, or any other defect, which might affect any computer or
IT system into which they are received and opened, it is the
responsibility of the recipient to ensure that they are virus free
and no responsibility is accepted by Letterpart Ltd for any loss
or damage arising in any way from receipt or use thereof.
           ##Email Scanned by Trend Micro##

     Registered in England no 2607162
    Registered Office: 16 Bell Street, Reigate, Surrey, RH2 7BG
------------End of Letterpart Ltd Email Notice -----------------
29/10/2008