rsync recovery of system backup to different Linux computer

gldickens3 gordon at dickens.com
Sun Oct 26 20:35:05 GMT 2008

Hi Matt and Paul,

Thanks for your prompt reply to my question about recovering a system backup
to a different computer.  However, I must report that I chickened out and
just reloaded the box from scratch.  I made extensive use of the config
files from my rsync backup which did make it much easier than a reload from
scratch.  My new hardware is enough different from my old hardware that I
just didn't feel comfortable investing the time to try a recovery directly
from the backup.  I would have tried it anyway if I had local access to the
computer. But I was concerned that it might not reboot after the rsync
recovery which would probably require a complete OS reload and since my new
computer is in a data center 1000 miles from where I live and I just didn't
want to take that risk.

Thanks again guys!

Gordon