rsync hangs during --remove-source-files

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Sat Oct 18 19:19:30 GMT 2008

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 03:34:03PM +0800, Thomas Gutzler wrote:
> I had another rsync hang. I've attached a text file with the stack
> traces you asked for and some other info.

The generator backtrace shows that it is waiting for the receiver to
finish some files before going on.  This attempts to sprinkle the source
removes more evenly during the transfer instead of having them all get
bunched up at the end.  So, the strange thing is that the receiver is
waiting around for more files to process, which raises the question of
why the generator doesn't know that the files it initiated are all done
(or make me wonder if some pipe data didn't get delivered, but that is
less likely).  Did your transfer report any errors?