link-dest to remote server doesn't work in Linux client

Zhiming Zhou qexing at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 10:24:58 GMT 2008

Hello:

I first use rsync on Cygwin in Windows, and make a fully old backup like
this:
rsync -a --force test 192.168.0.10::ttt/old/

Then in cygwin, I use "--link-dest" option to do a incremental backup:
rsync -a --force --link-dest=../old/ 192.168.0.10::ttt/new/

* "new" directory contains updated files, and unchanged files are hard
linked to "old" directory, rsync works greatly!!

However, I use rsync in Linux, and run command just the same like above

* the "test" directory is fully backuped to "new" directory, and NO links
are created for unchanged files.

And I tried two versions of rsync server, 3.0.4 and 2.6.9, used three
versions of rsync client, 3.0.4, 2.6.9, 2.6.2,

unfortunately, both 3 versions of rsync in Cygwin links unchanged files as I
respected, but none of these versions of rsync
in Linux links unchanged files.

So, I can't understand why "link-dest" option doesn't work in Linux client?

Thanks