assert problem

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Wed Oct 15 15:00:36 GMT 2008

On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 08:24:31AM +0700, BuraphaLinux Server wrote:
> rsync: hlink.c:273: check_prior: Assertion `node->data != ((void *)0)' failed.

Everywhere in the hlink.c code that sets a node, sets a data value and
ensures that it is non-zero, so there's no code path in the logic that
can allow that assert to trigger.  Thus, it would appear that there has
to be some kind of a corruption bug somewhere.  It would help to have a
reproducible test case so I can look to see what exactly is going on.
Failing that, it could help if you ran the 3.1.0dev version (see the
nightly tar files or git repository) as this would allow you to run with
the "--debug=hlink5,hash" option, and that might provide some insight
into what is going on in the hashtable and hard-link code.  I should
also look into a patch that would dump the hashtable when it discovers
it to be invalid, and that might help to figure out what has happened.