rsync backup permissions

michael cs at networkingnewsletter.org.uk
Thu Oct 9 13:38:24 GMT 2008

On Thu, 2008-10-09 at 14:17 +0100, michael wrote:
> I had a quick look for an answer to what I'd presume is a common Q but
> failed so wondering if somebody here would point me in the right
> direction, please & thanks?!
>
> I wish to use rsync to backup users' home dirs from machineA (Debian) to
> machineB (Fedora). I have a script, say backup.sh, in my own home dir
> and linked to from /etc/cron.daily and have set up the ssh keys so
> root at machineA can rsync to localUser at machineB. In testing the script is
> run and files are transferred. However, they are owned by localUser (of
> machineB) not of each user on machineA.
>
> I have tried various rsync options (--perms) but without joy. Can
> somebody advise me which flags I require?
>
> Thanks, Michael

I should add that I've also tried these flags:

  rsync --super -o -g --perms -z --partial -v --recursive --stats
--times --links --exclude-from=${LOCAL_DIR}/.rsync-EXCLUDE
--timeout=1800 ${LOCAL_DIR} ${REMOTE_LOGIN}:${REMOTE_DIR}

but get errors such as
rsync: chown <remoteDrive>/<username>/<file> failed: Operation not
permitted (1)