Compression error? -- "Inflate (token) returned -5"

Bas van Schaik bas at tuxes.nl
Mon Oct 6 21:28:31 GMT 2008

Paul Slootman wrote:
> On Fri 05 Sep 2008, Bas van Schaik wrote:
>
>>> Well, why not try upgrading to the latest? If that's not an option for
>>> you, what do you want us to do? Retro-actively fix your version by
>>> jumping in our time machine? ;-)
>>>

>> You're right, I should have been more clear about this. I think there
>> exist about three different threads about this problem, which all ended
>> up in some rsync developer asking for the problematic files and the
>> rsync user admitting that he had already deleted those. Since the cause
>> of the problem is (AFAIK) still unknown, I assumed it wasn't fixed in
>> the last few months. If you have reason to believe it actually _is_
>> fixed, I'll of course upgrade my rsync installation. But do you have
>> reasons to believe this?
>>

> I haven't seen any messages to the list about problems with compressed
> transfers on recent versions, so I have no reason to believe that the
> problems persist. I never had problems myself, so I can't personally
> say if it's changed.

I've upgraded both client and server to rsync 3.0.3-2 from Ubuntu
Intrepid and the problem still exists. Client reports:
> rsync: writefd_unbuffered failed to write 199 bytes [sender]: Connection reset by peer (104)
> inflate (token) returned -5

Since this is a production environment I'd like to stick to 3.0.3 (which
is already newer than I'd like to use...) in stead of upgrading to
3.0.4, unless have very good reasons to believe it is really fixed in
that last version.

Regards,

Bas