rsync - umlauts and length of file name

MW rsync at urmel.demon.co.uk
Fri Nov 28 16:03:25 GMT 2008

Hi - I have implemented an rsync script that runs on a Leopard OS X
system and backup the local host itself, plus 2 remote machines -
another Leopard machine and a Win XP laptop. The remote backups are
performed by connection to an rsync daemon. I'm using rsync 3.0.4 with
a few extension for the Mac OS X side.

When doing the backup of the XP box I see these error messages:

28/11/2008 15:47:16 mdworker[1065] (Warning) Import: Bad path:/Volumes/
backup_hd/Backups/xxxxxxxx-4.local/Profiles/XXXXXXXX/daily.0/Start
Menu/current/$my/Sudtirol/S�dtirol.xls

rsync: readlink_stat("/XXXXXXXX/My Documents/Work/archive/projects/
LFAB/LFAB SpeechDial & Help Desk/on LL/Tuning/
tuning-070319/070201T2213-def-AUTOTRANS.SpeechDial-lfab-
SE151.SpeechDM_FullName.log.SpeechDM_FullName/AUTOTRANS.SpeechDial-
lfab-SE151.SpeechDM_FullName.log.SpeechDM_FullName.oog" (in Profiles))
failed: File name too long (91)

I assume the file name length limit is coming from the OS X system but
how can I ensure that special characters like German umlauts, are
transferred correctly?

Cheers
Michael