Looking for a Comprehensive list of error codes

David Overton david at overtons.id.au
Tue Nov 18 23:31:23 GMT 2008

Hi,

You could look at the EXIT CODES section of the rsync(1) man page,
e.g. at http://www.samba.org/ftp/rsync/rsync.html.  However, this only
details exit codes from rsync itself, it doesn't mention exit code 255
which I think is actually coming from ssh.  The ssh(1) man page says
that ssh will return 255 if an error occurred and I have seen this
exit code returned by rsync when there is an ssh error.  Can anyone
confirm whether rsync is actually passing through the error code from
ssh, or if there is some other undocumented reason for it returning
255?  Are there any other codes that might be returned that aren't in
the man page?

David