Intermittent connection failure

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Fri Nov 14 16:13:52 GMT 2008

On Thu, 2008-11-13 at 10:29 +0100, Michael Härtl wrote:
> i have sporadic connection problems with my rsync server.
>
> I have _no_ firewall involved and there is _no_ max connections set.
> rsync on the clients is started from cron via a bash script. There's
> also no permission problem. rsyncd runs as daemon (is not started from
> inetd).
>
> It sometimes works, but every third or fourth rsync fails with this message:
>
> rsync: failed to connect to ip.of.client.A: Connection refused (111)
> rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at clientserver.c(104)
> [sender=2.6.9]

You mean ip.of.rsync.server, right?

Try manually running "nc -v ip.of.rsync.server 873" a few times and see
if you get the same "Connection refused".  If so, that means the rsync
client is not at fault.  On the server side, you could try setting up
the daemon under inetd and see if you get the same result and whether
inetd logs anything useful.  You could even try "nc -l 873" on the
server to see if the problem is purely with the network.

> There's also nothing in the logs.

I guess that would suggest that the daemon isn't seeing the incoming connection at all.

Matt