How to delete files older than X on backup during sync?

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Sun Nov 9 21:01:52 GMT 2008

Matthew, please remember to CC rsync at lists.samba.org .

On Sun, 2008-11-09 at 15:46 -0500, Matthew Monaco wrote:
> You could use touch to update all of the files in your backup-dir.  Then
> use my original suggestion to delete files that are older than two weeks.

I assume you mean, touch only the destination files corresponding to
source files that still exist (and you'd get that list from itemize
output)?  That would work, but it loses the mtimes of the files, which
will make the rsync quick check fail and may make the backup less
useful.  Using the atime instead would work nicely provided that the
atime field isn't being used for anything else and the destination
filesystem is mounted noatime.

Matt