rsync for the brave

Ashley M. Kirchner ashley at pcraft.com
Sun Nov 9 06:07:20 GMT 2008

    Anyone here run rsync on a Win32 platform? I know, I'm a glutton for
pain. Anyway, I'm using 'cwrsync' on one system to copy files from a
local drive (F:) to a mapped (network) drive (Y:). The problem I'm
having is with that infamous 'Network Trash Folder'. I can't get it to
ignore it on the remote (mapped) drive, and it doesn't exist on the
local drive. Consequently, I get this error:

file has vanished: "/cygdrive/y/Network Trash Folder/Trash Can Usage Map"
rsync: delete_file: rmdir(Network Trash Folder) failed: Device or
resource busy (16)
IO error encountered -- skipping file deletion

    ... and when that happens, it stops deleting those files it should
be deleting from the remote (mapped) drive.

    It's not a folder that Windows will allow me to delete, so
consequently rsync will attempt to do that and fail. Adding
--exclude="Network Trash Folder" has absolutely no effect what so ever.

    Any suggestions?