v3.0.4 OS X Execution Errors

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Sat Nov 8 16:21:57 GMT 2008

On Sat, 2008-11-08 at 15:04 +0100, Yves Petronin wrote:
> I was interested by this compilation on OSX 10.4. I followed the same
> Bombich instructions, and I thought I was successful, since I have
> found the following in the /usr/local/bin directory with today's date:
>
> -rwxr-xr-x   1 root  staff  1011412 Nov  8 14:46 rsync
>
> Hovever when I perform the  command rsync --version, I still find the
> old version:
>
> rsync  version 2.6.9  protocol version 29
> Copyright (C) 1996-2006 by Andrew Tridgell, Wayne Davison, and others.
>   etc.....
>
> I though that adding the following in my ~/.profile  file would help,
> but no change
>
> export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin

Your PATH is searched from left to right when you execute a program, so
if you want to use /usr/local/bin/rsync instead of the original rsync,
you need to *prepend* /usr/local/bin to your PATH:

export PATH=/usr/local/bin:$PATH

It shouldn't make too much of a difference where in ~/.profile this
assignment is made.

Alternatively, you could leave the PATH alone and invoke rsync by its
absolute path as Jonathan showed:

/usr/local/bin/rsync --version

Matt