rsync + cifs problem

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Fri Nov 7 02:01:35 GMT 2008

On Thu, 2008-11-06 at 11:08 +0100, Christian Pinedo wrote:
> I'm trying to use a remote SMB/CIFS share to backup a local directory
> tree. I use rsync "version 3.0.4 protocol version 30" and mount.cifs
> "1.10" with a kernel 2.6.18. The directory I'm trying to backup is quite
> big and has a lot of files inside.

Since rsync expects a lot from the filesystem, it occasionally runs into
incompatibilities with network filesystems.  You will probably have
better luck running rsync on the actual destination machine (either over
ssh or as a daemon), if possible.

> [root at linux dir]# du -hs .
> 50G     .
> [root at linux dir]# find . -type f | wc -l
> 41929
>
> I get the following error when I try to use rsync:
>
> [root at linux /]# mount -t cifs //SERVER/backup /media/backup -o
> credentials=/root/.credentials,rw
>
> [root at linux /]# /usr/local/bin/rsync -aq --whole-file --force --delete
> --backup --backup-dir=/media/backup/incremental/$(date +%Y-%m-%d) /dir
> /media/backup/current
>
> rsync: mkstemp "/media/backup/current/dir/files/.file.mp3.rqE1s8"
> failed: No such file or directory (2)
> rsync: mkstemp "/media/backup/current/dir/files/.file.mp3.NxYdH6"
> failed: No such file or directory (2)
> rsync: mkstemp "/media/backup/dir/files/.file.mp3.jkbgXp" failed: No
> such file or directory (2)

Please reduce the set of source files to the minimum with which you can
reproduce the errors, run rsync under "strace -f", and send the output.
That will show the interaction between rsync and the filesystem leading
up to the errors and help me determine which is at fault.

Matt