Behaviour of /./ in from file on version 3.0.4

Leon Vanderploeg leonv at vaultnow.com
Tue Nov 4 17:21:31 GMT 2008

Greetings,

I am using cygwin/rsync to backup windows data to a linux server.

I recently upgraded an implementation of rsync from 2.6.8 to 3.0.4 and have
encountered a problem.  In the previous version of rsync a /./ in the from
file would cause the previous path information to be dropped for the
destination directory.  In 3.0.4, it appears the . is being translated into
the current (working) directory.  I don't know that is matters, but the
linux backup server version of rsync is 2.6.9. I may well be missing
something in the documentation, but I cannot figure this one out.

Help will be MUCH appreciated.  Here's more detailed the scoop on my
problem.

In my backup process, I create a shadow copy, expose it, and use it for the
rsync.  In this example, the C drive has been exposed as the H drive.  (This
is actually done on the fly.  I create the shadow, find the first unused
drive letter, expose the drive to that letter, and create the from file
using the drive letter that was exposed).  Since I don't want the data to be
kept in the backups as part of H (the drive letter could change), I used the
/./ to drop the exposure of the H drive.  It worked great under version
2.6.8.

Here’s the rsync call
  rsync -rltgoD --delete --partial-dir=./rsync_partial --chmod=Du+w,u+r,u+x
-e "ssh –p22 -i \"/cygdrive/c/Documents and
Settings/Administrator/.ssh/id_dsa\"" --stats --files-from=<x>

the from file <x> contains (samples)
  /cygdrive/H/./c_projects/
  /cygdrive/H/./documents/
  /cygdrive/H/./Installs/
  /cygdrive/H/./MyDocuments/

rsync 3.0.4 gives the following error messages
rsync: change_dir "/cygdrive/c/Program Files/rsync/cygdrive/H" failed: No
such file or directory (2)
rsync: change_dir "/cygdrive/c/Program Files/rsync/cygdrive/H" failed: No
such file or directory (2)
rsync: change_dir "/cygdrive/c/Program Files/rsync/cygdrive/H" failed: No
such file or directory (2)
rsync: change_dir "/cygdrive/c/Program Files/rsync/cygdrive/H" failed: No
such file or directory (2)

Since current (working) directory is c:\program files\rsync, it appears that
rsync is attempting to expand the . to be the current working directory.

As I said, any help will be greatly appreciated.

Leon