Problem with extended ACLs in 3.0.4?

Andrew Gideon c182driver1 at gideon.org
Sun Nov 2 19:18:39 GMT 2008

I've been using a 2.6.2 that I modified myself to get ACLs as I like.
I'm trying now to get back into the public version of rsync, but am
finding difficulties.

This one seems pretty basic.  It's on a CentOS 4.5 machine with rsync rpm
rsync-3.0.4-1.el4.rf and kernel 2.6.9-55.0.2.plus.c4.  After the
operation, f1 and f2 should have identical ACLs.  They don't.

	[root at house0 t]# ls -l
	total 4
	-r-xr-xr-x+ 1 adm sys 0 Nov  2 12:57 f1
	[root at house0 t]# getfacl f1
	# file: f1
	# owner: adm
	# group: sys
	user::r-x
	group::r-x
	mask::r-x
	other::r-x

	[root at house0 t]# rsync -aX -v --itemize-changes f1 f2
	sending incremental file list
	>f+++++++++ f1

	sent 118 bytes  received 32 bytes  300.00 bytes/sec
	total size is 0  speedup is 0.00
	[root at house0 t]# getfacl f1 f2
	# file: f1
	# owner: adm
	# group: sys
	user::r-x
	group::r-x
	mask::r-x
	other::r-x

	# file: f2
	# owner: adm
	# group: sys
	user::r-x
	group::r-x
	other::r-x

	[root at house0 t]# rsync --version
	rsync  version 3.0.4  protocol version 30
	Copyright (C) 1996-2008 by Andrew Tridgell, Wayne Davison, and others.
	Web site: http://rsync.samba.org/
	Capabilities:
	    64-bit files, 64-bit inums, 32-bit timestamps, 64-bit long ints,
	    socketpairs, hardlinks, symlinks, IPv6, batchfiles, inplace,
	    append, ACLs, xattrs, iconv, no symtimes

	rsync comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.  This is free software, and you
	are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions.  See the GNU
	General Public Licence for details.
	[root at house0 t]#

I originally discovered this in a network copy which uses link-dest.
The previous copy of the file has the correct/complete ACL, and the
link-dest logic sees this as different from the "new" copy result so
a new copy of the file - with the wrong ACL - is written.

Is this somehow desired behavior, or is there some option combination
that can be applied to "fix" this so that the copied ACL truly matches
the source?

Thanks...

	Andrew