Change in workings of -K switch in 3.0.3?

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Sat Nov 1 12:29:38 GMT 2008

On Sat, 2008-11-01 at 11:56 +0100, eric casteleijn wrote:
> Did how the -K switch works change in v. 3.0.3? I upgraded my Ubuntu
> yesterday, and my rsync script is suddenly behaving very differently:
>
> I have a large folder structure that I sync between to machines with the
> following switches:
>
> rsync -avzK --delete source target
>
> This *used* to mean that if some directories on the target machine were
> actually symlinks to somewhere else, rsync just traversed those symlinks
> and treated them as normal directories.
>
> After upgrading to 3.0.3, however, rsync deletes the symlink, then
> starts copying the source directory with the same name in its place.

You are right, the combination of -K, --delete and incremental recursion
is broken.  I'm guessing the incremental recursion is interfering with
the ability of the chunk of code near the end of make_file to recognize
when a symlink found on the filesystem should be treated as a directory
for the purpose of --delete matching.  I will look into fixing this.

A workaround is to disable incremental recursion with --no-i-r.

Matt